Kim Yik Yung, born in 1935 in Chongjin, Hamgyong, is a South Korean ceramic artist.She studied chemical engineering at Seoul National University and then went to the USA, where she studied ceramics at Alfred University, New York State. After returning to Korea, she worked as a researcher in the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, South Korea.Kim was co-winner of the 2004 “Artist of the Year” award from the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art for significant contribution to the development of Korean contemporary ceramic art. Her work has been shown in major exhibitions in Korea, Japan, the United States, and Europe.
- 1957 B. S. Degree, Chemical Engineering, Seoul National University
- 1958 Finished 1-year course of Ceramic Engineering, Seoul National University
- 1959 Finished 1-year course of Crafts and Arts, Hongik University
- 1961 M. F. A. College of Ceramics at Alfred University
- 1958-1959 Research Assistant, AID Central Design Demonstration Center
- 1960-1961 Teaching Assistant, College of Ceramics at Alfred University
- 1961-1963 Assistant to the Curator, National Museum of Korea
- 1963-1964 Full-time Instructor, Duksung Women’s College
- 1964-1965 Invitational Research instructor, Kyoto Municipal College of Arts
- 1965-1967 Instructor, Housing and Interior Design, Yonsei University
- 1967-1968 Research Assistant, AID Design Development Project
- 1969-1974 Planning Manager, Design Development Section, Korea Trade Promotion Center
- 1975-2000 Professor, Ceramics Design, College of Design and Architecture, Kookmin University in Korea
- 2000- Professor emeritus, Kookmin University.
Work in Collections
- National Gallery of Contemporary Arts, South Korea
- Hoam Art Museum, Seoul, Korea
- Youngeun Museum of Art, Daeyu Cultural Foundation, Korea
- Everson Museum, Syracuse, U. S. A.
- Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, U. S. A.
- Royal Mari Mont Museum, Brussels, Belgium
- British Museum, United Kingdom
- National Museum of Scotland, United Kingdom
- Victoria and Albert Museum, United kingdom
- Detroit Institute of Art, U. S. A.
- Royal Ontario Museum, Canada
- Smithsonian Institution, U. S. A.
- Taipei National Museum of History, Taipei
- San Francisco Oriental Museum, U. S. A.
- Philadelphia Museum of Arts, U. S. A.
- Chicago Smart Museum, U. S. A.
- Honolulu Academy of Arts, U. S. A.
- Hawaii University Gallery, U. S. A.
- San Antonio Museum of Art, U. S. A.
- Kim Yikyung’s website
- Korea Timesarticle
- Seoul selection, Kim Yikyung – Interview, 2013
- List of Museums that collect Kim Yikyung’s Work, on Map